We have enjoyed nice weather and fantastic birds in our visit to the Strait of Gibraltar and La Janda from the Costa del Sol.
Photo: Black-winged Kite (Elanus caeruleus)
Have a look at many more pictures below!
We first went to Punta Carnero, where there were a big number of Black Kites coming in though the wind was not strong enough from the west and many birds were coming in further west from the view point. We could also spot a few Sparrowhawks and Booted Eagles, one Red Kite, two big flocks of White Storks and a pretty distant flock of eight Short-toed Eagles.
Despite the wind was stronger at Punta Carnero, it was there where we spotted our only Black Stork of the day. Birds were now coming in further east, so we moved on to Torre de Guadalmesi. By the time we got there, at lunch time, the traffic of birds was very scarce across The Straits. It was time for a visit to La Janda.
Soon after we entered the track at La Janda, we stopped to look around and John spotted a fantastic adult Spanish Imperial Eagle soaring over the farmlands. This great finding was followed by Red Kite, Marsh Harrier, Purple Swamphen, Spoonbill, Greater Flamingo, Glossy Ibis, Cattle Egret and, to round the day off, a couple of Black-winged Kites carrying materials to their nest.
Please, click here to contact us, you can also live these experiences with Birdaytrip!!!
- Black Kite (Milvus migrans) Black Kite (Milvus migrans)
- Sardinian Warbler (Sylvia melanocephala) Sardinian Warbler (Sylvia melanocephala)
- White Storks (Ciconia ciconia) White Storks (Ciconia ciconia)
- Black Stork (Ciconia nigra) Black Stork (Ciconia nigra)
- Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola)
- Little Owl (Athene noctua) Little Owl (Athene noctua)
- Torre de Guadalmesí Torre de Guadalmesí
- Red Kite (Milvus milvus) Red Kite (Milvus milvus)
- Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio) Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio)
- Black-winged Kite (Elanus caeruleus) Black-winged Kite (Elanus caeruleus)