I just wanted to watch the Slavonian Grebe and…
Photo: White-headed Duck (Oxyura leucocephala)
Click here to see the video of the Short-eared Owl and have a look at many more pictures of an amazing evening below!
I just wanted to watch the Slavonian Grebe once more and went direct to the Laguna Grande, where it has been feeding in the last days. Unfortunately, I could not find it and moved on to the Laguna Escondida, just in case it had flown there and other birds could have arrived.
The Kingfisher was next to the hide when I arrived and the pool was full of Shovelers, Pochards and, for my delight, some of the White-headed Ducks that have come back to the reserve.
I could also see some flights of the Booted Eagles, Cormorants and Grey Herons from the hide.
The light was turning very difficult as the sun was coming down so I decided to wait for the Short-eared Owls from the truck. When I was leaving the hide, I could see the owl chasing a dark raptor that was perched on a tamarisk to the left. At first sight, it looked like a Marsh Harrier, but it turned out to be the (in)famous escaped Harris Hawk. After a few shy dives on the harrier, the owl decided to come and sit just in front of the hide, where it stayed for more than 20 minutes for the absolute happiness of a nice group of enthusiast birders.
Please, click here to contact us, you can also live these experiences with Birdaytrip!!!
- Blackbird (Turdus merula) Blackbird (Turdus merula)
- Female White-headed Duck (Oxyura leucocephala) Female White-headed Duck (Oxyura leucocephala)
- Pochards (Aythya ferina) Pochards (Aythya ferina)
- White-headed Duck (Oxyura leucocephala) White-headed Duck (Oxyura leucocephala)
- Sardinian Warbler (Sylvia melanocephala) Sardinian Warbler (Sylvia melanocephala)
- Shovelers (Anas clypeata) Shovelers (Anas clypeata)
- Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)